Sunday, February 1, 2009

Feb 1, Day 1

What better way to start a 28 day challenge than the 1st day of a 28 day month? I couldn't thing of one either. So here goes.

I am struggling over a few ground rules, i.e. if I should make any exceptions to the basic eating raw rules. The one that is sticking at me right now is I think I will allow myself to have non-raw beverages. That is to say I can cut myself off of the coffee and pop but I do like tea and at times I WANT something hot. I've have read that raw foodies do tend to experience a slightly lower than normal body temperature. I can vouch for that in the limited raw excursions I have made in the past. So...I am going to attempt to limit myself to herbal teas and probiotic stuff that may become available with my local raw community.

One other thing I can think of as the month progresses that I may want that is cooked is a little store-bought dressing on my salad. I have stuff already bought and it is vinigar/oil based Italian type dressings so it is not all sweet, cheesy or bad-fatty like French, Caesar or Thousand Island. If I run out or get all guilt-ridden about it I will just make my own from scratch. :)

OK, enough blathering on.

Day 1.
I decided that I should try to let my digestive system rest before my transition so today I have had nothing but water and a 15oz bottle of Pomegranate Blueberry Naked Juice. Yes I know it is pasteurized so it doesn't exactly qualify as raw but it is just juice with no other sugar or preservatives added (according to the bottle). It was one-off purchase when I was buying other raw groceries, although it was quite good. Just 300 calories for the day, woo-hoo. I figured it was better for me than the lychee bubble tea I was really wanting to get on the way home.

I know Paul Bragg in his Miracle of Fasting book recommends fasting one day a week but at this point I will just use fasting as a method of transition.

Just because my guts rested today didn't mean I did. I did without the SuperBowl (I assume since I don't know when it came on) and went to the local YMCA and got on the treadmil instead. I am ramping myself up to run full 5k's again. With the warm up, cool down, walking and running sturts I ran for 10, 5 and 2.5 minute clips for a total workout of 40 minutes. According to the results uploaded from my Garmin Forerunner 50 watch I burned 444 calories. A net negative for the day not even counting base metabolic rate.

If I can keep that up forever I should reach my weight goal in no time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment